Negative calorie foods are those which provide the body with less calories than it uses to digest and eliminate them. Consequently, they are great additions to any weight loss diet since they can be consumed in large amounts without causing weight gain from fat storage.
Celery is one of the best negative calorie foods because a cup of around 120 grams contains a mere 20 calories. These minimal calories are due to the fact that a celery stick is basically 75% water which has zero calories. The remaining 25% is fiber which makes a person feel full for longer and thus reduce their general caloric intake.
Celery in addition to being a negative calorie food is not a negative nutrient food since a single cup provides more than 30% of vitamin K intake. It also contains the vitamins C, A and the B complex vitamins. Celery also contains minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, calcium, phosphorous and magnesium.
To increase your intake of celery, you can snack on the plain sticks on their own or season them weight loss spices like ginger and cayenne pepper. You can also mix these spices with low fat yogurt to make spicy dip for the celery sticks.
Juicing celery is another way of consuming this negative calorie vegetable. For instance you can make a healthy green juice by blending a cup of celery sticks with a cup of shredded cabbage (20 calories) and an orange (60 calories) or an apple (100 calories).
Lettuce is another negative calorie food since 1 cup of iceberg lettuce contains a mere 8 calories. This means you can eat as much lettuce as you want and never increase your body fat stores since it is basically made up of 50% water and 50% fiber.
To increase your intake of lettuce, use them to prepare salads for lunch and dinner. As you do so, mix the with other low calorie foods to make filling salads that will not add an ounce of fat to your body composition.
For example you can add two or three tomatoes to each cup of lettuce since each contains 20 calories and tons of healthy nutrients like vitamins A, C and cancer preventing lycopene. You can also add onion rings for their flavor since a quarter cup contains around 15 calories.
Green, leafy vegetables like kale are other nutrient-rich and calorie-poor vegetables that you can add to your salads since they are packed with antioxidants, anticancer phytonutrients and vitamins A and K.
However, ensure that you do not add salad dressings which usually contain lots of calories because of the oils used to prepare them. Some also contain the taste enhancer MSG (monosodium glutamate) which has been linked to obesity.
Watermelons are among the sweetest low calorie foods since a cup of this diced fruit contains around 50 calories. Their very low calorie content is also attributed to their very high water content.
These red fruits have also been proven to increase the metabolism and help the body burn more calories. In addition, they are very good sources of vitamins and minerals.
To increase your intake, cut your watermelon into cubes and enjoy it all by itself. You can also mix it with other low calorie fruits to make a weight loss fruit salad. For example you can add a cup of strawberries a cup of papaya which both contain 50 calories each.
You can even juice your cup of watermelon cubes and flavor it with some lemon juice since an entire lemon contains just 17 calories and tons of vitamin C.
Subscribe to our Newsletter to learn more about negative calorie foods. Click here to request your customized Holistic Weight Loss Program.